The Division of Building Regulation is responsible for monitoring all types of building construction in the county to ensure that it meets minimum code requirements and the expectations of occupants for structural integrity, workmanship and safety.
The Division of Building Regulation objectives are:
- To conduct inspections on all buildings under construction and buildings hazardous to the public within the jurisdiction.
- To coordinate and consult with Public Safety Officials, Health Department and State Building Code Officials.
- To coordinate with Virginia Power and Virginia Natural Gas on all power and gas installations.
- To enforce the County building regulations and related codes.
- To prepare monthly and yearly reports on all building activities.
- To provide assistance to other departments, agencies and commissions.
- To provide comments and code requirements to builders, developers and citizens of the County.
- To provide expert testimony for litigation.
- To provide guidance and administrative support to the Building Code Appeals Board.
- To receive and review residential and commercial building plans for structural, plumbing, mechanical and electrical requirements.
- To receive fees and process receipts from permit activities.