- Sheriff's Office
- Shield Program
As part of the Metro Hampton Roads area, a hub for travel, business, and tourism in Virginia and close to multiple military installations, York County is not isolated from potential regional, state, national, and even international acts of crime or terror. We have seen and experienced firsthand acts of domestic terror and know what to expect and how to respond when the nation is watching.
We understand and recognize that crime trends extend beyond the borders of neighboring jurisdictions and into the borders of York County. Partnering with the community, the Sheriff’s Office can quickly recognize and respond to criminal acts and crime trends within our community. Partnering with citizens, businesses, and places of worship is the key to succeeding in the protection of our county.
The YPSO SHIELD programs serve as a platform to highlight a culture of community partnerships and provide an information-sharing network that goes beyond the borders of York County.
What We Do
Increase your awareness of criminal activity through a partnership and information-sharing process.
YPSO SHIELD keeps its partners informed of upcoming events, new intelligence and crime information developing in York County as well as identified events abroad.
Information is researched and transmitted directly to our partners by one of several methods:
- Presentations and briefings
- E-mail alert messages or notifications through the YPSO iOS and Android APP
- Activity postings via email
- Quarterly newsletter detailing crime trends, upcoming community events and additional Sheriff’s Office information
What We Ask
The YPSO SHIELD program is a communication two-way street. The key to success is information flowing in two directions. Community partners serve as the eyes and ears of the Sheriff’s Office and serve to directly impact efforts to prevent crime and acts of terrorism by reporting suspicious behavior as soon as possible.
In addition, we recognize that our community partners are uniquely qualified to assist Sheriff’s Office personnel during an incident. You know what belongs and what is out of place. By sharing your perspective and working together, we are better prepared to face the most difficult challenges.
Why Join SHIELD?
We have a shared responsibility to provide for the safety and security of our community. Your Sheriff’s Office serves as the tool to accomplish this task; however, only by partnering together can we achieve success.
As a member of the SHIELD program, you will have an opportunity to take an active role in helping to make York County a wonderful place to live, work, and raise a family.
Benefits of SHIELD
- Designated Sheriff’s Office personnel to serve as liaisons with program partners.
- Provide partners with up-to-date electronic notices about community crime trends and identified terrorist events.
- Informative conferences to ensure updated information and training opportunities.
- Identify and create opportunities for networking of resources in times of community need.
- Provide materials and resources to educate partners on areas of public safety and security.
- SHIELD was created in partnership with NYPD Shield and reaches beyond the borders of York County to keep our community partners informed.
- SHIELD is a force multiplier that significantly increases the effectiveness of the Sheriff’s Office crime prevention and terrorism efforts through community partnerships and information sharing.
- SHIELD provides community organizations with information on emerging crime trends, community events, and evolving terrorist threats that may impact York County.
- SHIELD is the central destination for community organizations to obtain information and engage Sheriff’s Office resources.