Commercial Corridor Property Improvement Grant
Helping your business make exterior improvements to enhance the overall appearance of the County’s commercial corridors.
Attractive commercial properties contribute positively to the character of York County and studies show that businesses can generate more customer interest and, therefore, potentially be more profitable when the exterior of their business structure is visually appealing and attractive. The Commercial Corridor Property Improvement Grant (CCPIG) program is intended to assist business owners who are committed to making the investment necessary to enhance and improve the exterior features of their property or building that are visible from the adjacent commercial corridor.
WHAT IT COVERS
Fifty percent matching grants of up to $10,000 can be used for installation of visually impactful exterior improvements viewable from the adjacent commercial corridor. Improvements must represent new and enhanced features of the property/building, such as upgraded architectural features, windows, awnings, lighting, landscaping, and similar items. Replacement of an existing pole sign with a new monument sign may be considered under this program, when paired with other qualifying improvements.
- Must have current York County business license and must have been in operation in a commercially zoned (GB, LB, or EO) corridor for a minimum of one year prior to applying for funds. (Exceptions to the business license requirement may be considered for property owners who are not also the business owner.)
- Work cannot have started before the application is approved.
- Property owner and business owner must not be in default or non-compliance with any county programs, ordinances, or taxes.
- Renters must show proof of owner’s permission for proposed renovations.
- Must sign up for our e-news, which provides business resource information including educational opportunities.
- Work on approved projects must be started within six (6) months of grant approval and all projects must be completed within one year.
- Grant funds may be used as a match for state grant funds.
DETAILS & EXCLUSIONS
- Recurring expenses do not qualify (e.g. building painting, power washing, or landscape mowing or pruning).
- Funds may not be used for improvements to vacant lots or payment of past due bills or expenses.
- Lifetime maximum grant of $10,000 per property/business site.
- Sweat equity provided by the grantee does not qualify as a matching expenditure.
- Home-based businesses, residential properties/uses, industrial properties, properties zoned YVA, and non-profit entities are not eligible.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete, sign and submit the grant application. Include all quotes for described improvements, the signed owner agreement, a signed W-9 and a copy of your current business license (or ownership documentation).
Ensure application is submitted by the first Tuesday of the month, for consideration at that month’s committee meeting, and send it via either:
- Email: EconDev@YorkCounty.gov
- Mail: York County Economic & Tourism Development, P.O. Box 612, Yorktown, VA 23690
- In person: 121 Alexander Hamilton Blvd., Yorktown, VA 23690
Receive our decision via email, along with an agreement to sign if approved. Begin the work once you return the signed agreement.