Commissioner of the Revenue Designation Background
Mrs. Thomas is a 2003 title recipient of Master Commissioner of the Revenue from the University of Virginia Weldon Cooper Center and the Commissioner of the Revenue Association of Virginia. She is accredited annually as Master Commissioner of the Revenue. Mrs. Thomas began working in the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office in 1973, and was elected as Commissioner of the Revenue in 1992.
About the Program
The Commissioner of the Revenue "Association," with support and assistance form the University of Virginia, Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, developed a Career Development Program for Commissioner's of the Revenue and their Deputies.
The designation program was developed to enhance the professionalism of local government officials and their staff, ensure greater knowledge, accountability with the citizenry and increase statewide uniformity with respect to office procedures and assessment practices. This program, which takes a minimum of 3 years to complete, requires a combination of extensive education and governmental experience. A certificate is presented for successful completion of the program. The education process does not, however, end with the completion of the program. Every year after the initial certification, the recipient must complete at least one core or elective course in order to remain certified.
Criteria for Eligibility
In order to receive this designation, you have to meet certain criteria for eligibility, which includes:
- Adherence to and practice of the Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct of the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO)
- Attendance at various ongoing regional and state education seminars and meetings
- Maintenance of policies set forth in the Standards of Accountability
- Must participate and provide service to the Association
- Must undergo a successful on site audit of all documentation to substantiate eligibility
- Successful completion and maintenance of enrollment in required continuing education courses
In order to maintain the Master designation, you must meet the criteria as mentioned above annually.