You may be safeguarding yourself by staying in, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the library! Your free York County Public Library Card gets you access to a world of digital resources. Over the next few weeks we will be featuring them right here, on Off the Beaten Shelf.
Today we'll focus on Freegal, the library's free music service!
What is Freegal?
Freegal Music offers access to 15 million songs, including Sony Music’s catalog of legendary artists, and over 40,000 music videos. Audiobooks are also available. UPDATE: Through September 2020, you can stream the full catalog for 24 hours a day! You can also download three songs per week.
How do I sign up?
To sign up for Freegal, you will want to first visit the following link: york.freegalmusic.com. You should see a screen similar to what is displayed below.
Create an Account Today!
- To get started, click the blue Log In button.
- On the next page, enter your York County Public Library card number in the library card number box and click Log In.
- That's it! Now you can access songs for every interest, as well as a collection of music videos and audiobooks. NOTE: A video download counts as two of your weekly selections.
You can listen to Freegal music through the browser or via the free app, available for Android, Apple products, and Kindles. Here are some easy tips for using Freegal:
- Click the Search bar and type in an artist, genre or song title. Press "Enter" or click on the magnifying glass to search.
- Or Browse for different songs by clicking on "Browse" on the left under the blue menu bar.
To get music you can either:
- Play a song by clicking on the image to the left of the song title.
- Stream a playlist or album by clicking the blue Stream button
- Download a song by clicking the three dots to the right of the song length and clicking on Download from the list of options.
- Add the song to a playlist or your Wish List by clicking the three dots to the right of the song length and clicking on the option your prefer from the list of options.
Still have questions?
Check out our new Ask-A-Librarian online form. Let us know which library resources are giving you trouble and library staff will contact you with solutions. Visit www.surveymonkey.com/r/YCPLAskaLibrarian to fill out a request for assistance today. If you require immediate assistance, please call the Tabb Library Reference desk (757-890-5120) or the Yorktown Library Reference desk (757-890-5207) between 10 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday.
Need a Library Card?
If you live in or around York County, Virginia, we now have a new online library card application that will give you access to our new Digital Library Card. Temporary digital card numbers will be issued to those that meet our requirements so you can still enjoy your library and our digital library resources even if you didn't have a card before we closed.