You may be safeguarding yourself by staying at home, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the library! Your free York County Public Library Card gets you access to a world of digital resources. Over the next few weeks we will be featuring them right here, on Off the Beaten Shelf.
Today we'll focus on OverDrive, the library's free eBook and eAudiobook lending service!
What is OverDrive?
The library’s OverDrive collection offers thousands of eBooks and audiobooks that can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or mobile device. You can check out up to 8 items with a 14-day loan period. Up to 20 items can be placed on hold. Return items when you’re finished or they will automatically be returned at the end of the loan period.
How do I Sign Up for OverDrive?
Check out this video tutorial we just created walking you through how to get to and sign up for OverDrive:
Other OverDrive tips
- Log in to your OverDrive account by selecting Sign in and typing in your York County Public Library card number.
- Once you find a book or audiobook you want to read, click on Borrow.
- Then click Download to put the item on your device.
- Once downloaded, you have 14 days to read or listen to the item. Once the loan period is over, the item will return itself. No more late fees!
- Make sure you are using WiFi when downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks. This ensures your device is able to fully download the item without using too much of your mobile data.
- If an item is already checked out by another patron, you can Place a Hold on the item. You will receive a notification when the item is available for you to check out.
- If you are using certain types of Kindles, you may not be able to get the OverDrive app. Instead, you will select the Read now with Kindle button after borrowing the book. This will take you to your Amazon account, where you can log in with your Amazon username and password to send the library book to your Kindle.
Still have questions?
Check out our new Ask-A-Librarian online form. Let us know which library resources are giving you trouble and library staff will contact you with solutions. Visit www.surveymonkey.com/r/YCPLAskaLibrarian to fill out a request for assistance today. If you require immediate assistance, please call the Tabb Library Reference desk (757-890-5120) or the Yorktown Library Reference desk (757-890-5207) between 10 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday.
Need a Library Card?
If you live in or around York County, Virginia, we now have a new online library card application that will give you access to our new Digital Library Card. Temporary digital card numbers will be issued to those that meet our requirements so you can still enjoy your library and our digital library resources even if you didn't have a card before we closed.