Staff Note: Young Adult Reads is a series of posts reviewing items that are geared toward teens, but are of interest to all York County Public Library readers.
Shakespeare once noted that “The course of true love never did run smooth” (A Midsummer Night’s Dream 1.1.134). In honor of Valentine’s Day (Feb 14th), we’ve put together a roundup of titles from our YA collection that showcase love’s varied forms and the different paths in which people find their way to each other. A variety of characters, obstacles and strife, miscommunications, obliviousness, and more await within the pages of these books.
- Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit by Jaye Robin Brown — When Jo Gordon and her evangelist father move to small-town Rome, Georgia, she hides her sexuality to fit in with her new stepfamily until she falls for popular girl Mary Carlson, who proves to be the ultimate temptation.
- The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dressen — The summer following her father’s death, Macy plains to work at the library and wait for her brainy boyfriend to return from camp, but instead she goes to work at a catering business where she makes new friends (like the dreamy Wes, one of the owner’s nephews) and finally faces her grief.
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han — Lara Jean writes love letters to all the boys she has loved and then hides them in a hatbox with the intention to never mail them. Unfortunately, one day those letters are accidentally sent, and Lara Jean’s life is turned upside down.
- Love Fortunes and Other Disasters by Kimberly Karalius — Devastated by a “love fortune” indicating she will be a spinster, fifteen-year-old Fallon decides to take control of her own fate, even if it means working with Sebastian, a notorious heartbreaker.
- Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan — This is the story of Paul, a sophomore at a high school like no other: The cheerleaders ride Harleys, the homecoming queen used to be a guy named Daryl (she now prefers Infinite Darlene and is also the star quarterback), and the gay-straight alliance was formed to help the straight kids learn how to dance. When Paul meets Noah, he thinks he’s found the one his heart is made for. Until he blows it. The school bookie says the odds are 12-to-1 against him getting Noah back, but Paul’s not giving up without playing his love really loud. This is a happy-meaningful romantic comedy about finding love, losing love, and doing what it takes to get love back in a crazy-wonderful world.
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins — When Anna’s romance-novelist father sends her to an elite American boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school, she reluctantly goes. While there, she meets an amazing boy who becomes her best friend, in spite of the fact that they both want something more.
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell — Feeling cast off when her best friend outgrows their shared love for a favorite celebrity, Cath, a dedicated fan-fiction writer, struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worry about her fragile father.
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz — Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.
- If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo — Amanda Hardy only wants to fit in at her new school, but she is keeping a big secret, so when she falls for Grant, guarded Amanda finds herself yearning to share with him everything about herself, including her previous life as Andrew.
- The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon — Natasha, whose family is hours away from being deported, and Daniel, a first generation Korean American who strives to live up to his parents’ expectations, unexpectedly fall in love and must determine which path they will choose in order to be together.
To request any of these titles, visit our online catalog.