Now is the age of the geek, whether your geekiness is defined by your favorite author, movie, television show, video game, comic book or your obsession with a specific type of computer. While acceptance isn't always forthcoming at younger ages, many individuals out there have proven that geeks often have successful lives. Glance through any of these books to find out why and ways to celebrate your inner (or outer) geek:
- The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory, and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School — This book reveals the new labels students stick onto each other today, the long-term effects of this marginalization, and the reasons students falling under these categories are often shunned. But, then the author celebrates the outcasts, arguing that the innovation, courage, and differences of outcasts — geeks, nerds, freaks, weirdos, punks, Goths, etc. — are crucial to America's progress.
- The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution — The revealing story of the people who created the computer and the Internet, this book is an indispensable guide to how innovation really happens and explores what it takes to be a success.
- The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Geek Girls — This handbook seeks to answer a recent question: Can girls be geeks. The author offers girls and women enthusiastic a resounding "Yes!" and provides support for letting their geek flag fly, as well as discussing some of the feminist issues that are involved.
- The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family — Are you a dad who already embarrasses their kids with their outward expressions of geekiness? This handy guide helps you get the whole family in on the fun. Grab this one for your Father's Day weekend plans!
- Geek Physics: Surprising Answers to the World's Most Interesting Questions — In this handy book, the author finds intriguing questions buried in familiar movies and TV shows, video games, viral videos, and news hooks and walks readers through the fascinating answers from a physics perspective, without all the complicated details.
- Popular: A Memoir: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek — A touchingly honest, candidly hysterical memoir from breakout teen author Maya Van Wagenen, this book offers readers of all ages a thoroughly contemporary example of kindness and self-confidence told by a self-professed geek.