June 3 is Global Running Day
. The organization's website says the event is the day "runners everywhere declare their passion for running." Whether you are just getting started or you've been running all your life, we have plenty of resources to meet your needs.
- The Runner's World Big Book of Running for Beginners: Lose Weight, Get Fit, and Have Fun! by Jennifer Van Allen — This book is for the beginners! The book presents readers with tips for smart nutrition and injury prevention and includes realistic training plans that enable beginning runners to achieve gradual progress.
- The New Rules of Running: Five Steps to Run Faster and Longer for Life byVijay Vad — Injuries are common in running. In this book, a sports medicine specialist illustrates proper technique, shows step-by-step exercises, and explains how to prevent and treat the most common running injuries to keep you running healthily and happily for life.
- Young Runners: The Complete Guide to Healthy Running for Kids 5 to 18 by Marc Bloom — Don't leave the kids behind! Before you bring them along, check out this book to learn the benefits of physical health, the fitness needs of different developmental ages, and injury prevention.
- Galloway's 5K/10K Running by Jeff Galloway — If you're ready to kick your running into high gear, then competing in a formal race may be for you. This practical and easy-to-understand volume offers an easy and time-efficient system to train for, and complete, a 5K or 10K race. Galloway's 5K/10K Running is packed with expert advice, hints, and tips from a former Olympian who has been injury-free for over 25 years.
- Running Like a Girl: Notes on Learning to Run by Alexandra Heminsley — The stories of the author's first runs turn the common notion that we are all "born to run" on its head-and exposes the truth about starting to run: it can be brutal. But the book also tells the story of how the author got beyond the brutal part, how she made running part of her life, and how she reaps the rewards every day.
- The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances by Matthew Inman — This tongue-in-cheek graphic novel contains a humorous collection of comics and stories about running, eating, and one cartoonist's reasons for jogging across mountains until his toenails fall off.
To reserve your copy of any of the books featured in this post, visit the online catalog or call the Tabb branch at 757-890-5100 or the Yorktown branch at 757-890-3377.