York County Library system has a fantastic, continuously-growing YA collection that is sure to interest teens and adults alike. With the influx of new material, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the choices. Here are five titles that are new to the library that are worth checking out:
- A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi — Taken prisoner in a neighboring hostile kingdom, Gauri, the princess of Bharata, agrees to help a cunning prince by teaming up with him in a mythical competition that will grant a magic wish to the victor. This is the companion novel to The Star-Touched Queen.
- Nemesis by Brendan Reichs — As the Anvil, an enormous asteroid, threatens to end all life on Earth, sixteen-year-old Min begins to uncover a lifetime of lies, a sinister conspiracy involving all students in her sophomore class in Fire Lake, Idaho.
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor — In the aftermath of a war between gods and men, a hero, a librarian, and a girl must battle the fantastical elements of a mysterious city stripped of its name.
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas — After witnessing her friend's death at the hands of a police officer, Starr Carter's life is complicated when the police and a local drug lord try to intimidate her in an effort to learn what happened the night Kahlil died.
- American Street by Ibi Zoboi — On the corner of American Street and Joy Road, Fabiola Toussaint thought she would finally find une belle vie — a good life. But after they leave Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Fabiola's mother is detained by U.S. immigration, leaving Fabiola to navigate her loud American cousins, Chantal, Donna, and Princess; the grittiness of Detroit's West Side; a new school; and a surprising romance, all on her own. Just as she finds her footing in this strange new world, a dangerous proposition presents itself, and Fabiola soon realizes that freedom comes at a cost. Trapped at the crossroads of an impossible choice, will she pay the price for the American dream?
- Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare — Emma is torn between her passion for Julian and her need to protect him from the consequences of a forbidden romantic partnership, a situation challenged by her relationship with Mark and his efforts to regain his Shadowhunter capabilities. This is Book 2 in The Dark Artifices series.
For more young adult books, visit our online catalog. To get a customized list of book recommendations straight from our librarians, fill out our online Looking for a Great Read? survey.