Practice Being Nice (not Naughty)
When it Comes to Recycling Holiday Packaging
To celebrate a season that is both bright and eco-friendly, use this holiday wrapping checklist to know which packaging materials are recyclable, or not, and have a nicer green holiday ahead!
The following holiday items are NOT recyclable:
- Greeting cards with glitter or metallic accents
- Gift wrap and gift bags made of foil or plastic
- Ribbons and bows
- Plastic product packaging
- Tissue paper
These items CAN be recycled:
Good to do, always:
- Paper greeting cards and envelopes
- Paper gift bags
- Plain wrapping paper (without glitter or foil)
- Cardboard shipping boxes
- Keep reusable shopping bags in your car.
- As a gift alternative, make a donation in honor of a loved one.
- Send e-cards and e-vites rather than paper cards.
- Avoid paper/plastic by using your own dinnerware, cups, and utensils when entertaining.
- If you give electronic gifts, include rechargeable batteries.
- If you decorate a naturally grown Christmas tree, place it in a quiet corner of your yard after the holidays; the birds will love it. Or, recycle it!
Check out the askHRgreen.org Naughty and Nice list
for easy reference.
For more information contact the Waste Management Center at 890-3780 or at www.yorkcounty.gov/waste