York County Public Libraries Reopening July 7; Virtual Summer Reading Program Begins June 22
York County Public Libraries will reopen to the general public on Tuesday, July 7, with modified hours of operation: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday; and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Both libraries will be closed on Sunday and Monday.
"Thank you for your continued support during the COVID-19 pandemic," said Library Director Kevin Smith. "The safety of our community, patrons, and staff is our highest priority. With that in mind, we've had to make some modifications to our services."
Here's what you can expect when visiting the library:
- Patrons are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering and practice social distancing guidelines while in the library.
- All returned items will continue to be quarantined for 72 hours.
- Book drops will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Notary service will be available by appointment only. Call the Reference Department at Tabb, (757) 890-5120, or Yorktown, (757) 890-5207, to make an appointment.
- In-house programs, study rooms and meeting rooms will not be available at this time.
- Curbside pickup will be discontinued on July 7. If you need special accommodations, contact the Circulation Department at Tabb, (757) 890-5130, or Yorktown, (757) 890-5205.
"To help everyone stay safe while visiting the library, please wash your hands frequently, practice social distancing, wear a face covering, and stay home if you're sick," said Smith. "We're looking forward to opening our doors and welcoming you back."
Coming next week - the Summer Reading Program! Readers of all ages are invited to explore fairy tales, fables, mythology and more, as the York County Public Library presents "Imagine Your Story." In order to help keep our community safe during the COVID-19 outbreak, this years' summer reading program is going virtual. All programs, activities and story times will be available through our YouTube channel, Facebook, Instagram or the library website.
"Although this is a change in the program delivery method, our staff has worked diligently to offer a high quality and entertaining summer reading experience," Smith said.
The summer reading program is free and open to all ages - from newborns to adults. The program runs from June 22 through July 31. Visit the library's website, https://www.yorkcounty.gov/754/Summer-Reading, for program details and to register.
This program is made possible in part through the generous support of our sponsors: the York County Library Foundation, Mobjack Bay Coffee Roasters, Parks Orthodontics, and Persnickety Crane Café.
For more information about the reopening and scheduled programs, contact the Tabb Library at (757) 890-5100 or the Yorktown Library at (757) 890-3377. The Tabb Library is located at 100 Long Green Blvd., Yorktown, VA 23693. The Yorktown Library is located at 8500 George Washington Memorial Hwy., Yorktown, VA 23692.