York County Update 10/2/2020
WanderLOVE Market Debut; Fire Prevention Week; Halloween 2020; County Offices Continue to Reopen
Join in the Fun at Tourism Development’s Fall Market this Weekend
- During the October 10 special extended farmers market at the beautiful Historic Yorktown Waterfront, shop vendors and artists selling seasonal favorites like gourds, autumn-inspired art, kettle corn, candy apples, and sweet potato pies. NEW this year . . . Allen's Farm will set up a special pumpkin patch with pumpkins of all sizes for sale. An expert pumpkin carver will give live demonstrations from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and musical entertainment will be provided by DJ Ron Herrick. Make sure to take part in our annual "Guess the Weight of the Giant Pumpkin" contest! Prizes presented by Allen's Farm, Pumpkinville, and Sycamore Springs Farm. The Fifes and Drums of York Town perform at 10 a.m. This year’s hay maze is set up in front of the fountain. Carrot Tree will be selling caramel apples and hot cider in front of their restaurant, and you won't want to miss the delicious menu Chef Hines is cooking up to sell outside Water Street Grille. Be on the lookout for fun photo cutouts to take pictures as digital souvenirs!
We are taking important precautions to keep our customers and vendors safe amidst COVID-19 concerns, including required spacing between vendors and a setup to avoid congestion in typically high-traffic areas. All vendors and staff are required to wear face coverings when interacting with customers who are less than 6 feet away. Hand sanitizer stations will be set up as you enter, as well as signs stating that no one with a fever or symptoms of COVID-19, or known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the prior 14 days, is permitted to shop at the market.
- The weather couldn’t have been more perfect for our first Rhythms on the Riverwalk concert last week. The limited capacity, online ticket reservation system and socially distanced circles, provided a safe fun way for the community to gather at the waterfront. Check-in begins at 5:30 Friday night and seats are first come, first served. It promises to be another wonderful evening of live music. The final performance featuring BJ Griffin Band is October 16 and tickets are still available! This is a rescheduled date for the concert that was originally rained out. Reserve your tickets online. Note: There are no tickets remaining for tonight’s (10/9) concert featuring Good Shot Judy.
Grant Program Helps Pay Tuition for School-Aged Childcare so Parents can Work/Attend Job-Training
- The CASSAC program (Care and Supervision of School Age Children) is a regional partnership between the United Way, Smart Beginnings Virginia Peninsula, and eight neighboring jurisdictions – including York County – that is available to eligible citizens. The program covers up to 100% of tuition costs for both full and part-time attendance of safe and supportive virtual learning environments. Funded by the CARES Act, CASSAC also benefits local childcare providers who can receive grant-vouchers that will pay up to 140% of the base tuition for school-age children enrolled in virtual learning. For more information, please call (757) 229-2222 or visit CASSAC online.
Register Now for Treat Trails at New Quarter Park
- Trails at the County’s beautiful New Quarter Park will be open to children ages 6-12 from 3 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, October 24, for a special event. Kids are invited to walk along trails and collect treats! Afterward, children can visit the park’s pumpkin patch, choose their favorite, and attend our carving workshop to complete their jack-o-lantern. Family-friendly costumes are encouraged. Staff and volunteers will be wearing facemasks. Visitors are encouraged to wear masks and incorporate a cloth mask into your child’s costume. Cost is $10 for your first child and $5 for each additional child in your household. Please register online by Saturday, October 17. For more information, call (757) 890-5840 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. New Quarter Park is located at 1000 Lakeshead Drive, upper York County.
Upcoming Holiday Closings
- York County offices are open Monday, October 12 (Columbus Day); however, the Courts are closed. On Monday, October 19, County offices close to observe Yorktown day – the anniversary of the British Surrender in 1781. The Voter Registrar’s offices, located in Washington Square Shopping Center and Victory Village Shopping Center, are closed on Yorktown Day. Garbage and recycling are not affected by these holidays. Complete details are available in a press release.
Last Day to Register to Vote
- Citizens who will be 18 on or before Election Day are reminded that Tuesday, October 13, is the last day to register to vote in Virginia. For more information, please visit the Voter Registrar’s website.
Supervisors seek applicants for Peninsula Agency on Aging Board
- Residents interested in serving on the Peninsula Agency on Aging (PAA) board are asked to submit an application available on the County’s website. The PAA board maintains the comprehensive system that helps older citizens find the resources they need to live independently. For more information on applying for appointment to this or another board, please call (757) 890-3320.
October 6 Board of Supervisors Meeting Available to View Online
- The Board of Supervisors October 6 work session was held remotely. Meeting details are available here with presentation materials also available online. Meeting replays are always available to view online and are shown on WYCG-TV (Cox 46, Verizon 38). The next meeting of the Board of Supervisors is scheduled for Tuesday, October 20.