October 26, 2018
A variety of educational and entertaining programs are being offered at the Senior Center of York in November. Participation is open to seniors age 55 or better and their spouses, regardless of age. To register for these activities, sign up in person at the Senior Center or call (757) 890-3444. NOTE: The Senior Center will be closed on Monday, November 12, for Veterans Day and November 22/23 for Thanksgiving.
• AARP Driver Safety Program - Monday, November 5 and Tuesday, November 6. This program is designed for drivers age 50 or better. Cost is $15 for members of AARP and $20 for non-members.
• Cyber Security Awareness – Wednesday, November 7, at 1 p.m. Cyber security refers to the various measures that help protect computers from mobile devices from harmful access by unauthorized users. In an effort to promote awareness and education, Tim Wyatt, York County’s Deputy Director of Information Technology, will provide important tips and tricks to help protect you and your devices from scammers.
• Culture Day: Veteran’s Panel – Friday, November 9, at 1 p.m. Help us honor those who served in the U.S. military as we listen to veterans share vivid and interesting stories about their time in the U.S. Armed Forces. Please register by Thursday, November 8.
• Hunt for Family History – Saturday, November 10, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Senior Center welcomes members of the York County Historical Society as they help participants research their family history and military records on the internet. Representatives from other local historical organizations also will be available. Register for a time slot by Thursday, November 8.
• Medicare Update – Tuesday, November 13, at 12:45 p.m. Each year, Medicare Part D plans may experience cost and coverage changes. Seniors need to review their plan during open enrollment that ends on December 7. Representatives from the Virginia Insurance Counseling Assistance Program (VICAP) will present an overview of 2019 plan year changes and answer your questions. VICAP is a free program that assists consumers with medical benefits issues with Medicare, Medicaid, medical bill paying, and long-term care insurance. Register by Monday, November 12.
• November Afternoon Anniversary Birthday Bash – Friday, November 16, at 12:15 p.m. Join us as we celebrate the Senior Center’s 27th anniversary with Entertainer Jon
Durfree performing a variety of favorite song selections. We will also recognize our patrons celebrating November birthdays. Register by Wednesday, November 14. • “Table Top Wreaths” – Thursday, November 29, at 10 a.m. Create a small, candle-sized wreath just in time for the holidays with Extension Agent Megan Tierney. Please bring small decorative items – such as bows and ornaments – for use in your wreath. Register by Wednesday, November 21.
• Computer Lab General Use. Computers in the Senior Center’s Computer Lab are available for general use Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. patrons must sign in at the front desk to use the computers. The Senior Center is not offering any computer classes during the summer.
• Weather-related closing updates. In the threat or event of inclement weather or hazardous conditions, call the Senior Center at 890-3444 to speak with a staff member or to listen to a recorded message for updates on closures or delayed openings. Remember, anytime the York County government offices are closed, the Senior Center is closed. There may be times when government offices are open, but parking lot/sidewalk conditions are too hazardous and the Senior Center remains closed. Other options for weather notification are available to you – inquire at the Senior Center’s main desk.
Mark Your Calendar…
Singing with Seaford Elementary School Choir (Christmas performance) – Thursday, December 6, at 10:30 a.m.
For more information, call the Senior Center at (757) 890-3444.