May Fun at Your Library
Digital Photography Competition for Amateurs, Teen Volunteer Program, & more
May 1, 2019
The York County Public Library offers a wide variety of free programs and activities for all ages.
Show off your photography skills and celebrate York County in our Digital Photography Competition for amateurs
. This year’s theme is “Celebrate York County” and we are looking for entries from teens and adults that highlight why York County is a great place to live and work. Prizes will be awarded for first, second, and third place in each category. The teen category is for ages 13 to 17; the adult category is 18 and up. Deadline to submit entries is May 31. Visit www.yorkcounty.gov/library
for contest rules and submission details. This program is funded by the York County Arts Commission. The Youth Services department invites teens ages 13 and up to volunteer at the Library this summer.
Teens will help kids sign up and collect prizes for the summer reading program and help staff with special events. Volunteers are needed from June 17 through August 2, and must be available for two hours a day, one day a week, for four of the seven weeks. Attendance at one of the following training sessions is required: 4:30 p.m., June 7, Yorktown Library; 12 p.m., June 8, Tabb Library. Applications are available at the Youth Services desk at both libraries on online. Adult programs:
- Dementia Conversations on May 9 from 1-3 p.m., Tabb, registration required
- Mastering Your Garden Series - Planting for Pollinators on May 11 from 1-2:30 p.m., Yorktown, registration suggested
- Dealing with Dementia Workshop on May 14 from 1-5 p.m., Tabb, registration required
- Tabb Book Readers on May 18 from 1:30-2:45 p.m., Tabb, registration required
- Gentle Yoga on May 20 from 11 a.m. to noon, Yorktown, registration required
- Digital Photography 101 on May 20 from 6-7 p.m., Yorktown, registration required
- Hope Over Addiction Author Talk with Amy Voltaire on May 20 from 6:30-7:30 p.m., Tabb, Adults and Teens are welcome
- Memory Café on May 22 from 1-2:30 p.m., Tabb
- Evening Yoga on May 28 from 6:45-7:45 p.m., Tabb, registration required
- Saturday Science - Skill Toys on May 4 at 1:30 p.m., ages 6-12, Yorktown, registration required
- Kids Create Wind Spinners on May 7 at 4:30 p.m., ages 5-12, Tabb, registration required
- Snuggle Stories on May 9 at 7 p.m., families, Tabb
- Lego Lovers on May 13 at 4:30 p.m., ages 5-12, Tabb
- Monday Morning Homeschoolers on May 20 at 10:30 a.m., ages 6-12, Tabb, registration begins May 13
- Paws to Read on May 25 at 2 p.m., ages 6-12, Tabb
- Lego Time on May 28 at 3:30 p.m., ages 4 and up, Yorktown
For information on library programs, visit our website at www.yorkcounty.gov/library
or contact the Tabb Library at (757) 890-5120 or the Yorktown Library at (757) 890-5207. Join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yorkcountypubliclibrary
. Visit the Tabb Library at 100 Long Green Blvd., Yorktown, VA 23693 or the Yorktown Library at 8500 George Washington Memorial Hwy., Yorktown, VA 23692. Library hours are Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m.
Through an agreement with the Williamsburg Regional Library (WRL), York County residents may utilize the services of both WRL branches: 515 Scotland Street and 7770 Croaker Road. For directions and hours of operation, call (757) 259-4040 or (757) 259-7770.