Curbside Garbage Collections
Solid Waste and Recycling Rates
During their April 16 meeting, the Board of Supervisors unanimously accepted new Solid Waste and Recycling Rates outlined in the new budget proposal. The new monthly fees are effective May 1, and include several new rates as well as increases to the existing rates. These increases are due to changes in recycling programs both locally and nationally, and in order to keep up with annual increases in disposal costs for garbage and recycling.
New levels of service! Beginning with the May billing period, residents may subscribe to newly offered levels of service, including options for “Recycling Only,” “Garbage Only,” and even a “Senior Citizen” discount.
New Options and Monthly Rates Effective May Billing
*Low Income rate available for those households that qualify. Call 890-3780 for details.
For more information about recycling or other Waste Management programs, or if you would like to subscribe to the County’s Curbside Solid Waste Collections program, please contact the Waste Management Division at 757-890-3780, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., or via our online “CUSTOMER SERVICE REQUEST” system available at www.yorkcounty.gov/pw or www.yorkcounty.gov/wastemanagement.
Residents interested in curbside garbage collection should note the following:
- Available to single family homes, eligible trailer homes, town-homes, and small businesses
- Program subscribers may bring household waste and/or construction debris to the Waste Management Center’s Transfer Station and citizen drop-off center free of charge.
- Subscribers may also schedule a bulk pickup for furniture or appliances at no additional charge.
- Please do not place construction material in your trash receptacle.
- Contractors, residents from other localities and County residents who do not subscribe to the County’s curbside collection program who bring waste to York County’s Transfer Station will be charged a tipping fee of $54.59 per ton (prorated by weight with a minimum fee of $7 for the first 260 pounds for York County and Poquoson residents).
- Subscribing contractors who wish to deliver materials from their personal residences must contact the York County Waste Management Center at 890-3780 at least one week in advance to allow staff to inspect the material to be delivered while still on the grounds of the residence. This is required to ensure that the materials being brought to the transfer station are in fact residential and not commercial in nature.
- Service Charges
- Determine your Garbage Collection Day
- Program Guidelines
- Additional services can be provided at your request, however you will need to call the Waste Management Center to tailor the service to your needs.