Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service that allows the Library to borrow materials that we don't own from other libraries for patrons who are York County residents. Books and copies of articles may be requested. New items (less than a year old) and audio/visual items are not available through ILL. Before requesting an item, check the library catalog to ensure the item is not available at the York County Public Library. Also, requested items cannot be in the catalog of another public library in the area (Poquoson, Hampton or Newport News Public Libraries) since library cards to these libraries are available, free-of-charge, to Virginia residents.
- It takes at least a week to obtain an item through the interlibrary loan process.
- The York County Public Library does not charge patrons to process an interlibrary loan.
- Up to five items may be requested at a time.
- The loan period is determined by the lending library.
- The lending library determines if an ILL can be renewed. The York County Public Library must be notified at least a week before an item is due to submit a renewal request. If the renewal is approved, you will be notified of the new due date. If not, the item is due by the original date.
- The fine for overdue ILL items is $1 per day per item.