Building permits are required for most construction activity. VUSBC Section 108 requires a permit to be issued by the building code official when:
- Above and in-ground swimming pools.
- Changing the use of a building either within the same use group or to a different use group when the new use requires greater degrees of structural strength, fire protection, exit facilities or sanitary provisions. Constructing, enlarging, altering, repairing, or demolishing a building or structure. Fences associated with swimming pools.
- Installing or altering any equipment which is regulated by this code.
- Removing any asbestos containing material. When erecting a tent greater than 900 square feet in size and intended to be used by fifty or more persons.
- When installing or extending any plumbing, electrical, or mechanical systems.
- When moving a lot line that increases the hazard to or decreases the level of safety of an existing structure in comparison to the building code under which the structure was built.