Family Bill of Rights
Rights of the Child
- Right to continuing relationship with both parents.
- Right to know and appreciate what is good in each parent without one parent degrading the other.
- Right to express love, affection and respect for each parent without fear of disapproval from the other parent.
- Right not to be made feel guilty for being with one parent by the other parent.
- Right to have consistent contact with both parents.
Rights of the Parent
- Right to reasonable access and contact with the child based upon reasonable prior notice.
- Right to have access to school and medical reports.
- Right to be notified of a major illness/injury to the child.
Guidelines for Parents
- Refrain from fighting, arguing, or degrading the other parent in the presence of the child.
- Provide the child with a safe emotional environment to continue to love the other parent.
- Encourage good feelings from the child about the other parent.
- Communicate with the other parent openly and honestly and regularly to avoid misunderstandings.