Team Up to Clean Up
Do you live or work in York County, and want to organize a cleanup in your community? We’ve got you covered! Our Litter Pickup Kits, that can be checked out for a week at a time, have everything you’ll need, from gloves to garbage bags, safety vests, and more. ALL ITEMS ARE FREE OF CHARGE! Details can be found in the policy below.
We love talking about our citizens and the great things they do for the community, so make sure to snap a few pictures and send them to us so we can recognize you and your group!
Each kit contains:
- (1) Duffel bag
- (5) Safety Vests
- (5) Litter Grabbers
- (5) Pairs of Gloves
- (10) Garbage Bags
- Clear bags for recycling (upon request)
- (1) Package Hand Sanitizing Wipes
- (1) Reusable auto litter bag
- Litter Cleanup Guide and Litter Inventory Form
So pick a day, gather your friends and neighbors, select a site and let us know that you’re planning to clean up!
Kits are available for one week. Also available are 36” x 36” roadside safety signs if you will be working on a roadside area.
This program is made possible through a partnership with York County Department of Public Works and the York County Beautification Committee, and is funded by grants from the VA Department of Environmental Quality and the Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fund Advisory Committee. For more information on "FRIEND OF THE CHESAPEAKE" license plates, please click here.
To check out a litter kit to clean up, call York County Waste Management Division at (757) 890-3780, or fill out the request form.
Check Out Policy:
- Kits must be checked out for use in York County, VA
- Kits are checked out for a one-week period (Renewals may be granted on a case by case basis)
- Kits must be requested at least one week prior to your clean-up date
- Kits can be picked up/dropped off at our Waste Management Administrative Facility.
- If an item is damaged during the clean-up, return the damaged item with the kit and let us know.
- An evaluation is included with each kit. The information from the evaluation will be used to assess the success of the program. In order to be eligible to check-out a kit in the future, you must return the evaluation.
- All items MUST be returned EXCEPT garbage bags. We will make arrangements for picking up bagged litter.