To enhance the services and capabilities of York-Poquoson Social Services by utilizing the skills and talents of volunteers.
- To supplement, extend and enhance the services and activities of York-Poquoson Social Services.
- To involve the community in activities related to services to the indigent population of York County and the City of Poquoson.
- To promote and recognize volunteerism in Virginia.
Any individual, without regard to race, religion, sex, age, income level or handicapping condition, is eligible to be considered for participation in all volunteer activities of York-Poquoson Social Services and to have his/her Volunteer Services Application received and reviewed for an appropriate assignment.
Agency volunteers provide the following services:
- Furniture and appliance pick-up and delivery
- Housing repair and rehabilitation
- Outreach to elderly
Under Virginia Code 63.2-314, York-Poquoson Social Services is authorized to receive gifts and contributions on behalf of indigent persons and families in our community.
The Special Welfare Fund is utilized for crisis needs when government funds are not available. All requests are vetted by agency Leadership and utilized only after all other options have been explored.
All donations should be sent to:
York-Poquoson Social Services, 301 Goodwin Neck Road, Yorktown, VA 23692
In the memo section, please write: Special Welfare Fund Donation
A receipt and thank-you letter will be provided.
The agency also welcomes support by providing:
- In-Kind Donations >
- Baby diapers - all sizes
- Children's books
- Household cleaning products
- Furniture and appliances
- Hygiene products
- Non-perishable food items/grocery store gift card