- Social Services
- Volunteer Services
- Friendly Visitors Program
Friendly Visitors Program
To enhance the lives of those in our elderly population who are supported by York-Poquoson Social Services by offering them quality time with our compassionate and talented volunteers.
- To promote longevity and positivity in the lives of those who are elderly and live in our community.
- To involve the community in activities related to services to the older adult population of York County and the City of Poquoson.
- To supplement, extend and enhance the services and activities of York-Poquoson Social Services.
Any individual, without regard to race, religion, sex, age, income level or handicapping condition, is eligible to be considered for participation in this program if they are receiving services through the Adult Services Division of York-Poquoson Social Services.
YPDSS recruits, screens, and conducts background checks to qualify volunteers. Once trained, the Friendly Visitors, under the oversight, supervision and guidance of YPDSS, provide respite for a caregiver in the family home.
Friendly Visitors’ primary tasks include:
- Providing companionship
- Playing games or engaging in creative arts
- Light exercise, short-distance walks
- Reading, watching TV/movies together
Volunteers are not allowed to:
- Lift a person who has fallen to the floor or ground (911 should be called)
- Provide personal care (grooming, toileting, bathing)
- Move furniture
- Accept money or donations or tips, gifts, hospitality or entertainment worth more than $20 in value.
NOTE > THIS IS NOT A TRANSPORTATION SERVICE > Volunteers will not transport participants to doctor's appointments, to buy groceries etc.
If you would like to apply to be a Friendly Visitors Volunteer, please feel free to complete and submit an application > LINK TO APPLICATION
If you would like to ask any questions in conjunction with the Friendly Visitors Program, please contact our Community Resource Coordinator at 757.890.3787.