The Department determines eligibility for the following programs:
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (Formerly AFDC)
- Auxiliary Grants
- General Relief for Unrelated Children
- Heating and Cooling Assistance
- Medical Assistance (Medicaid)
- SNAP (Food Stamps)
CommonHelp is a web-based app that will allow Virginians to screen for eligibility and report changes:
- Social Services benefits
- Apply for benefits
- Complete renewals
- Check the status of their benefits
- Report a change
Access is available 24/7.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced that the $3.2 billion Emergency Broadband Benefit Program launched on May 12. The program provides a $50/month ($75/month on tribal lands) subsidy for the cost of internet service for select individuals for 6 months. The list of Virginia's participating broadband providers can be found - here. Eligible households can sign up for the program directly through their broadband provider or online. For more information and to sign up, visit the program website here.
Office Hours - Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm
You may file an application for Benefit Programs using the following methods:
- In person anytime during the above office hours
- Online at www.commonhelp.virginia.gov
- Calling 1-855-635-4370 (All Programs)
- Calling 1-855-242-8282 (Healthcare, Medicaid, Information)
- Calling 1-833-5CALLVA (833-522-5582) Virginia 1 Benefits
Interviews are required for applications submitted for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Temporary Aide to Needy Families (TANF). All interviews will be scheduled and conducted via telephone unless a face to face interview is requested.
*NOTE* Interviews are being waved temporarily due to the "Public Health Emergency"